Blog Review: Loveday Internment Camps - Riverland South Australia

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 02, 2020 at 07:18
ThreadID: 139489 Views:10389 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

Hi Stephen, very interesting read. Did not know about these Internment Camps, only the one at Cowra. I suppose there were others dotted about the country that very few people know about as well.
Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 05, 2020 at 18:31

Sunday, Jan 05, 2020 at 18:31
Hi Macca

I am glad that I have enlightened you about Loveday, and the ruins that are still there today.

Speaking about Cowra, read a great book years ago, about the POW Camp there.
It was a great read and if you can get hold of it, it will inform you even more.

The book was called “Die Like the Carp”

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 629353

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Jan 05, 2020 at 22:14

Sunday, Jan 05, 2020 at 22:14
Thanks Stephen, I will definitely keep an eye out for this book.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 629362

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jan 06, 2020 at 12:20

Monday, Jan 06, 2020 at 12:20
Macca, there's a paperback edition of Die like the Carp!, available on eBay Australia, plus there's 32 editions available from global booksellers on AbeBooks.com.

The Cowra Breakout was exceptionally violent, the Japanese were driven by the Bushido warrior code that it was better to die in enemy combatant action, than to go home in shame as a POW.

4 Australians were murdered in the breakout, and 251 Japanese died, many committing suicide after escaping and realising they were not going to be able to get away from Australian round-up efforts.

The camp was alerted by one Japanese POW who was apparently against the breakout, and who shouted a warning at 2:00AM, which alerted sentries, who fired shots.
Shortly after, a Japanese bugle sounded and the Japanese threw themselves on the barbed wire in a massive assault.

The hero of the breakout was Pte Ben Hardy who was manning a Vickers MG with his mate Ralph Jones.
Despite firing the MG into the wave of attacking Japanese, they were overwhelmed, and Hardy managed to rip the bolt from the Vickers and throw it away, thus rendering it unusable and preventing the Japanese from turning the MG on the Australians.

There were Internment Camps in every State of Australia, and more than one in some States.

List of WW2 POW Camps in Australia

In W.A., the Internment Camp was located at Harvey. It was called No. 11 POW camp.
They were also referred to as Alien Camps.
As the War started to wind down around mid 1944, the Harvey Camp was converted into a military training camp as well.
Then, in late 1946, the Harvey Camp was converted into a Rural Training Centre, to assist ex-servicemen to become farmers.

Harvey Alien Camp praised by Red Cross delegate - Sept 1941

OzAtWar - No 11 POW Camp - Harvey, W.A.

Italians recall Harvey Internment Camp - ABC article

Harvey Rural Training Centre report - 1947

Quite a number of the camp buildings deemed surplus, were sold off in 1946, as part of the War Surplus sales carried out by the Commonwealth Disposal Commission.

Harvey Camp huts bring big prices - 1946

The internees were sent to Rottnest Island initially, then the No. 11 Internee/POW Camp was built at Harvey, and the internees were then transferred there.
The largest percentage of the internees were not POW's, they were merely "aliens" who were unfortunate enough to have Italian, German or Japanese names, and were not naturalised Australian citizens.

There were possibly a few POW's in the Harvey Camp, but the majority were just local Italians.
The survivors of the "Kormoran", the German raider that sank HMAS Sydney, were interned in Harvey for a period, before being transferred to a POW Camp in Victoria.

Many internees and some Italian POW's were sent out to farms in the W.A. wheatbelt, to provide labour on an arrangement which operated like a work release from jail.

These people were deemed no threat as regards escape or criminality, and they provided very useful and willing labour for W.A. farmers, who were short on labour due to the War.
The vast majority of them were excellent workers, and just happy to be working productively, and out of the camps.
They were generally chosen if they spoke a smattering of understandable English. If they spoke no English at all, that meant it was unlikely they would be released for work purposes.

In fact, so many of these internees and POW's enjoyed the rural life in W.A. so much, that a sizeable number of them actually returned and purchased land in the W.A. wheatbelt after the War, and became very successful farmers.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 904213

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 06, 2020 at 13:29

Monday, Jan 06, 2020 at 13:29
Hi Ron

Yes that book was a great read and I read it many, many years ago when it was first published.

And speaking of POW’s.......

Right here in Clare, there were 4 Italian POW’s men who were doing farm labouring work. After the war, they were all sent back to Italy, but they loved Clare so much, they all returned with their wives and Clare was to become their new home, and they all become an important part of our community.

They all lived in the same street, and all within a few houses of each other, and that area of Clare was given the nickname “Little Italy”

The men and their wives have now all past away, except one man.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 904215

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jan 06, 2020 at 15:02

Monday, Jan 06, 2020 at 15:02
Stephen - The post-War Italian farming immigrants moved into the W.A. Wheatbelt in such numbers, the area S.E. of Hyden, is officially named "Little Italy"! [:-)

Little Italy, W.A.

Little Italy, W.A. - Australias guide

It's interesting to see that Little Italy, W.A. now only has a reported population of 13.
Such is the drain of people from country to the city, as farms get bigger and much more mechanised.

When I worked around Little Italy in the 1970's, the population would have been at least 50 or 60 people.
Yes, all the WW2 Italian migrants I knew are nearly all deceased.

My city neighbour, Barney is one of the post-WW2 migrants still going, he's 88, and still pretty fit.
They often joined up in big Italian woodcutting groups, after they arrived, it was one of the labouring occupations they could take on, without any skills.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 904220

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2020 at 00:06

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2020 at 00:06
Stephen & Macca - I found a very interesting Internees article today, when I was doing research for another story on another forum.

I found this article because I was doing research on an old Italian I knew (long since deceased), who was an Internee.

This particular Internee bloke I knew, Bruno Giumelli, was born in Vareno, Italy in 1924, raised in Southern Cross, W.A., and worked through the W.A. Goldfields as a miner - but he also served in the Australian Army, as a member of 12 Employment Company.

Bruno related to me in the early 1990's, how he was employed at 5BOD (Base Ordnance Depot) at Nungarin, W.A., during the War.
He told me all the unknown details behind the huge warehouse fire at 5BOD in Feb 1947.

I was trying to figure out, how Bruno was in the Australian Army, is listed on the AWM WW2 Nominal Roll, and worked at Military bases during the War - but he was Interned as an Alien!

Then I found this particularly enlightening article about the Labour Corps/Employment Companies formed during WW2.

They were comprised of Internees who had volunteered for Labour employment, to assist with the War effort.

Virtually all of these Internees were loyal Australians (despite being born elsewhere), who were as willing as any other Australian, to do their part during the War.

Yet they were treated as being untrustworthy, simply due to their country of birth. Many were refugees from Nazism and Fascism.

The article below relates the poor treatment these people received during WW2 - and afterwards, as well.

It's a real eye-opener to me, as I never knew about these Internee Labour groups, despite the fact I knew that many Internees worked on farms during the War.

Forgotten Soldiers -

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 629389

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2020 at 08:57

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2020 at 08:57
Thanks Ron & Stephen,

Ron, I have heard of similar instances of Japanese American Internees in the US during WWII assisting with the war effort, but these were few and far between. The Japanese American Internees were generally treated poorly, and lived in pretty poor conditions.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 904256

Sponsored Links